Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Unknown Treasures

Sounds of 2008
4. Fleet Foxes: Mykonos



One glorious afternoon last August I was swinging on a beach hammock in Koh Phangan, Thailand. Feeling reflective I gazed across the shimmering waters at the island of Koh Tao.


I had recently come out of a relationship and I suppose in that kind of setting any great pastoral pop could send shivers down the spine. But Mykonos is truly special and its lyrics got right under my skin: “With a vision of a gentle coast / And a sun to maybe dissipate / Shadows of the mess you made.”


The chorus of “Wherever you go" made me feel I could never be alone again, while the Neil Young vocal cadences, insistent thrust of the guitars and gorgeous accapella section created a feeling of pushing away from disaster toward the bounty of as yet unknown treasures.


Listen: Mykonos



3 comments:

stoibee said...

I loved Mykonos too, but what did you think to their album? Am I the only person to think that it was all ecstatic harmonies but no actual songs?

Shiffi Le Soy said...

Hi. Yeh I know what u mean, that's why I like the lovely White Winter Hymnal too, it's a song! A lot of the record is that impressionistic rural folky stuff that's au courant. Nice LP though but!

However, I think you're gonna see then really hit their stride on the next albumen.

Shiffi Le Soy said...

...and it's a Coventry accent with the edges worn away after 15 years in California!