Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Star Fantasy

Sounds of 2008

2008 has been a spectacularly good year for music and for me few moments were not illuminated by one killer tune or another. In no particular order here are my top musical highlights of the last twelve months.

1. MGMT: Weekend Wars



MGMT’s Oracular Spectacular album struck me as minor masterpiece when its delights first tickled my earlobes, and I must say time has not diminished its allure.

Owing not a little to Ziggy-era Bowie and the psych-pop of Flaming Lips (Lips’ Dave Fridmann being their producer), MGMT's star fantasy has postmodernistically come true as they stand on the threshold of major pop stardom.

Packed with ideas and energy, the hallucinatory genius of Weekend Wars would be a classic track in any year. It’s a gorgeous, dizzy cocktail of acid-tinged irony.

Much has been made of the song’’s neo-psychedelic lyrics: “Once I was too lazy to bathe / Or paint or write or try to make a change / Now I can shoot a gun to kill my lunch /And I don’t have to love or think too much.”

Whether they refer to a damaged relationship, ecological woes, or even the end of the world, who cares? It’s great pop, and that’s all that matters.

2 comments:

Spaewaif said...

Oh,Cockney Rebel!
;-)

Shiffi Le Soy said...

Now that yu mention it, there IS a bit of Steve Harley in there isn't there?!!