Friday, July 25, 2008

Time Warp

Fuji Rock 2008: Part 3
Primal Scream Will Suck

I’m sitting on the grass complaining to my friend that, when I first saw this year’s Fuji Rock line-up, I had the feeling I’d slipped into a time warp. The 2008 Fuji guest list has a distinctly 1990s feel, with Primal Scream, Underworld, My Bloody Valentine all topping the bill.

We're not sure whether this says a lot about the 90s or very little about present day stars. But the billtoppers are bona fide rock icons, and, since we haven’t seen any of them, and since we really wanna see Underworld, it’s probably ok.

Mind you, I predict with come confidence that Primal Scream will suck.

There's a decidedly British theme to this year's festival, since it is celebrating the 150th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the UK and Japan. Union Jack and Rising Sun flags can be seen all over the festival site.

In addition to the three headliners mentioned above, there's a formidable British contingent among the performers; acts such as The Courteeners, Hard-Fi, Tricky, New Master Sounds, Adrian Sherwood and Asian Dub Foundation are present.

Since we bought our tickets from some Yakuza guys at the front gate, we didn’t get copies of the official schedule, which means that much to my chagrin, after being at Fuji for a mere 4 hours, I have already missed two primo non-90s superacts - Jamie Liddell AND Spoon. Grr!

Ah well, that’s the nature of Fuji – the gorgeous site is spread over a huge area and you really have to plan carefully if you wanna see all your fave raves. Not falling asleep after a nine-hour drive helps, too.


Fujirockers: Interview

Name: Nori.

From: Yokohama.

Why did you come to Fuji Rock? I like to drink.

Which artists do you especially want to see? Eastern Youth, their sunglasses are cool.

What’s the best thing about Fuji Rock? Drinking!


Fuji Slideshow "1


No comments: